There exist in the world a number of games which you really shouldn’t play. You probably already know one of the most famous ones – Bloody Mary – but here, in “The Most Dangerous Games,” I’ll be chronicling some of the lesser-known ones. But seriously, don’t play them. Ever. If you MUST play them, do NOT half-arse them. You never know what you might bring back with you if you screw up.
The Three Kings comes to us from FableForge, a redditor with an… interesting past. At his behest: Please don’t actually try this.
- 1 principal
- 1 partner
Note: You and your partner should both be mentally, emotionally, and spiritually stable. Do NOT attempt if either of you are having serious issues in your life. Do NOT attempt if either of you have consumed drugs or alcohol within the last three to five days.
- 1 large, quiet, empty room. Windowless preferred; if windows are present, cover as completely as possible with curtains, sheets, etc.. Ideal location: Basement.
- 1 pack of candles
- 1 lighter
- 1 bucket of water
- 1 mug
- 1 electric fan
- 2 large mirrors
- 3 chairs
- 1 alarm clock
- 1 fully charged cell phone
- 1 small object of sentimental value
- Begin at 11pm. Do NOT begin if your partner is not present and/or has not been briefed on his or her role. Your partner should remain in your home for the entire duration of the game.
- Place one chair facing north in the center of your designated dark room. This chair will be your throne. Place the other two chairs on either side of your throne, facing it, an arm’s length away. These will be your queen’s chair and your fool’s chair.
- Place one of your two mirrors on the queen’s chair and the other on the fool’s. The mirrors should be perpendicular to the chairs’ seats and facing both each other and you. You should be able to see your own reflection in each mirror from your peripheral vision while seated in your throne. You should not have to turn your head or move your eyes to do so.
- Place the bucket of water and the mug in front of you just out of reach.
- Place the fan behind your throne. Set it to medium or low – never high – and turn it on. Make sure it is stationary, not oscillating.
- Leave the room, but keep the door open.
- Go to your bedroom. Set the candles, lighter, alarm clock, and cell phone next to your bed. Make sure your phone is charging and set your alarm clock for 3:30am.
- Turn the lights off, hold your object of sentimental value (your “power object”), climb into bed, and sleep.
The Main Event:
- Wake up at 3:30am when your alarm clock goes off. Turn off the alarm, but do not turn on the light. Keep a hold of your power object, pick up your cell phone, light one candle, and return to the dark room. You must be seated in your throne by 3:33am.
- Do NOT proceed if any of the following occur:
- Your cell phone did not charge.
- Your alarm did not go off precisely at 3:30am.
- You approach the dark room and find the door closed.
- You approach the dark room and find the fan turned off.
- You are not seated in your throne by 3:33am.
Should any of these incidents ensue, take your partner and any other occupants and leave your home. Do not return until after 6am.
- If you do not encounter any red flags, proceed. Take your throne, but do not look directly at either of the mirrors, and do not let the candle go out. Use your body to protect the candle from the fan.
- Keep your eyes focused at the darkness in front of you. Again, do not look at the mirrors and do not look at the candle. Should you have any questions you wish to ask, you may ask them now. You may or may not receive a response; if you do, your response will come from the direction of one of the mirrors. Do NOT turn to look at the mirrors. Any answers received should be taken with the proverbial grain of salt; one of the mirrors is the queen and one is the fool, but it may not be clear which is which. Also note that to whatever may settle in the mirrors, you yourself are either the queen or the fool.
- Remain in your throne until 4:34am.
- At 4:34am, your partner should call out your name to end the game.
- Should this fail, your partner should call your cell phone.
- Should this fail, your partner should enter the room and, without touching you, use the bucket of water and mug.
- If your body is suddenly moved, the fan will blow out the candle, ending the game.
- Should you become lost or disoriented, your power object will guide your way back.
- Do NOT ignore any of the previously noted red flags prior to seating yourself in your throne.
- Do NOT attempt to stay in your home should these red flags appear.
- Do NOT attempt if you do not completely and totally trust your partner.